Wednesday, October 27, 2010

In Their Own Words: Terra Madre 2010

Sarah Jacobson, Kana Otowa, Sarah
 Jamieson at Terra Madre 2010
Sarah Jamieson writes about Terra Madre highlights, "Saturday we arrived slightly late for our U.S.A. regional meeting in Terra Madre.  The room was overflowing so we snuck around to the front and sat on the floor, literally feet away from Slow Food USA President Josh Viertel and Slow Food founder Carlo Petrini, among countless other “heroes of the movement”.  It was similar to a pep rally because it was so exciting and full of energy.  Carlo praised the U.S. for the great job we have done and how we are a model for the world…he alluded to future events and Terra Madres even in the U.S.!  We went to a few other workshops, one on safety, health, and taste and another about Slow Fish…where we met Alice Waters!  She came in and said a few words and when she left, we snuck out after her and snapped a picture and shook her hand…my heart was pounding.  

Sarah Jamieson, Alice Waters,
Kana Otowa
     Then at 6:00, Kana and I attended a workshop on quality and price.  I was very excited for this one because of my economics angle.  The workshop was truly fantastic; it was so worth attending.  While many of the workshops were not specific enough or focused only on problems and not on solutions—this one was not like that at all. 
            Afterwards, inspired by my liver experience (alluding to Sarah accidently trying liver the day before), I tried a plate of anchovies (a dish from Genoa), and they were delicious!  I have never even tried an anchovy at home, but these were also very different.  They were the entire fish, with a little batter, fried up (I think) and I squirted lemon over them and ate the things whole.  Yum!
            At last, Sunday, the final day of Terra Madre and Salone del Gusto.  It was sad in many ways but a relief in others, we were so tired by Sunday.  Overall, Salone del Gusto and Terra Madre were a truly once in a lifetime experience, and I feel so lucky to have been able to go to it.  I learned so much, tried so many different kinds of foods, and met a bunch of really interesting people.  The event and those four days are something I will never forget."
             

No comments:

Post a Comment